We've Switch to Edibolic Kitchens right here in Branford. For a Monday delivery, place your orders by 11:59 pm on Thursday. For a Thursday delivery, place your orders by 11:59 pm on Sunday. Here's the link to their website www.edibolic.com. Use Promo Code "shoreline20" to receive $20 off your 1st order!

Meats, Vegetables, Nuts, Seeds, Fruit…Mmmm

WOD, 09/25/09:

“Daniel”
50 Pull Ups
400m Run
95lb. Thruster, 21
800m Run
95lb. Thruster, 21
400m Run
50 Pull Ups
This workout can be scaled by lowering the rep counts, and shortening the run.  Have no fear…get HERE!
Ahhhhh…meats, vegetables, nuts, seeds, and fruit…the diet of champions!
How is everyone doing on the Paleo diet?  Finding it easier?  We cannot stress the importance of diet, not only for physical results, but for optimal performance in our WODs.  You cannot perform like an athlete if you are not fueling like one.  I know you’ve all heard me say it a thousand times, but I will say it again:  I would much rather you come to the gym once a week and be on point with your diet, than eat GARBAGE (and garbage is kashi bars, wheat pasta, and cottage cheese!) and come to the gym six days a week.  In the words of the great Robb WOlf, “a poor diet will cockblock a good workout.”  In my words, you cannot out-train a poor diet.
Many of you have mentioned that Paleo food is “boring.”  NOT TRUE.  You are LAZY.  Think of how many different types of meats, veggies, seeds, nuts, herbs, spices, and fruits there are in the world!!  You can combine any of these.  As mentioned previously, Blanco has graciously copied the Paleo cookbook for our gym members.  There are a PLETHORA of amazing recipes in there…take the time to cook them!
If you are like me, throughout the week, I view food as mere fuel.  I don’t mind boring during the week when my focus is on my training and work.  A couple of helpful hints that I have found to remain Paleo during a busy work week:
   -Always carry nuts/nut butter on you (FUEL)
   -Just because you are Paleo, doesn’t mean you can’t go to Subway.  They make salads.  Say no to the cheese, croutons, and their “fat-free” dressing.  Put olive oil, black pepper, and hot sauce on grilled chicken.  You won’t even know you’re on a diet.
 -Don’t have time to make eggs in the morning?  Go to Dunkin’ Donuts when you go to get your BLACK coffee, and ask for two eggs–just the egg part of their sandwich–heated up.  They’ll ask you five times, “you only want egg, no bread??!!!” (as if your the weirdo…those gluten-filled jerks!)
Here’s what paleo and CrossFit did for me:
Before (mmmmm GIVE ME PASTA!)

Before (mmmmm GIVE ME PASTA!)

After a few months of CrossFitting, but no diet...

After a few months of CrossFitting, but no diet...

After: Nothing but meats,veggies, nuts, seeds, and some CrossFit (and maybe a little wine, once in awhile)

25 Responses for Meats, Vegetables, Nuts, Seeds, Fruit…Mmmm

1. Carb Boy:
    September 24, 2009 05:45 pm

and by tomorrow I mean Saturday….

2. Carb Boy:
    September 24, 2009 09:38 pm

We’re really doing a Hero workout before FGB tomorrow….???

I LOVE IT!!!

3. Chris M:
    September 24, 2009 10:06 pm

LP, thanks for texting me that WOD.
    As far as getting on the paleo goes, i found the easiest way to stay on track is plan ahead an entires day meal. For example on days i have school, crossfit and work. Ill figure out what times i will be able to eat and what im going to eat the night before and it seems to make staying on alot easier.

Also i LOVE that idea at dunkin donuts! There is one right next to my school and i get my coffee there at least 2-3 times a week. How have i never thought of that?

4. Allie B:
    September 25, 2009 04:52 am

Laur- I love the before pics. Gives me unreal motivation. As you already know I was the ice cream and sweets queen(besides Shlee) and since Paleo I've lost 8 lbs. and my cravings for that something sweet is slowly leaving. However when I do have that craving for ice cream I have my gluten free, soy free, dairy free, low sugar, coconut milk ice dessert- everyone try it in the Stop n Shop natural foods section!

Good luck everyone tomorrow at FGB- I would love to be there but I have a bridal party tomorrow to do for makeup.

Hope everyone is coming to my costume party!!!!!!! Tickets are coming soon

5. Mike M:
    September 25, 2009 05:47 am

Paleo & CF buy-in: I have about 5weeks of "real" CF down and have tried to be as Paleo with my diet as possible. Results speak: I'm down 17-20lbs. I keep telling DP it has to be almost all diet, probably 80-20.

6. Lizzz:
    September 25, 2009 05:56 am

does anyone know if there are showers at the comp in fairfield tomorrow??

7. LP:
    September 25, 2009 06:32 am

Good Chris! I am so proud of you for making an effort to fuel your body like an athlete. Planning does help a lot. Are you coming to FGB in FF tomorrow? I sure that you could carpool with Jen and Kevin if you want.

8. Jenn:
    September 25, 2009 07:12 am

Absolutely, Kevin and I are leaving from my condo in Branford and Liz will be following us down. If anyone else is in the area I’d be happy to drive you too! just let me know

9. LP:
    September 25, 2009 08:24 am

Congrats Allie & McWalters! All of your hard work is paying off! You make us proud. Liz, I will find out about showers and text you asap

10. DP:
    September 25, 2009 08:45 am

11. Carb Boy:
    September 25, 2009 09:14 am

DP Quit using MY Before PIC!!!! I told you like 10 times already… cut the crap man.

12. Amanda:
    September 25, 2009 09:16 am

Laur – You forgot to mention the unbelievable results you got from the bendahanga! Works like a charm, everytime! yeaaaaaaah!

13. DP:
    September 25, 2009 10:37 am

Found this on CFM’s site…

14. Thais:
    September 25, 2009 03:48 pm

Hi Guys,

As LP knows, I have been lurking on your blog for a while. I am down at Elm City Crossfit, but go to CFM and Shoreline's blogs for added inspiration!!! It's hard not to take a look at all of the athletes and be encouraged!

Lauren, I have to say "thank you" for sharing your pics". It gives me hope! I just told a friend that my son is 5 and I'm still carrying his "baby weight" which is absolutely NO EXCUSE!

I have started Paleo about 70/30 and have been going at the WOD's (need to really get on my Endurance days) and am happy to say since the Labor day race, I am down 7.8 lbs!!!

LP from your days at Milford, your teaching skills have lent itself to great coaching skills. I have set my Kip goal for before Thanksgiving to have something from Crossfit to be "thankful" for and I just remember you spending time with me just telling me how to hang and pull my head forward and back to get it! I promise to post back when I actully get it

Regarding FGB – It is so AWESOME that you have 9 athletes going down tomorrow! I will be there not participating, but spectating rooting you guys on!

Do WORK Shoreline!!!!!

15. Ronda:
    September 25, 2009 04:25 pm

Hey, Lauren! I love seeing the before pictures since I have only known the rock hard new you. This is very inspiring to all of us. Thanks for sharing!

16. LP:
    September 25, 2009 07:07 pm

Thank you so much Thais!! Feel free to come by any day and work on your kip with us at the Shoreline!

17. Hilary Grant:
    September 25, 2009 11:57 pm

God, that Before Pic is PRECIOUS!!! OMG! Keep putting that up from time to time. You have convinced me that I need to do Paleo, Lauren! Good Luck to Shoreline Crossfit at FGB tomorrow!

18. KA:
    September 26, 2009 10:15 pm

Hi Lauren
    I’m a crossfitter from another affiliate but I follow the shoreline blog as well! How long would you say til you saw significant results when you started paleo (but had already been crossfiting for a bit)? My affiliate is largely male, so it’s tough to relate to them about this type of thing! All the best – thanks!

19. LP:
    September 27, 2009 10:52 pm

Thanks Hil!!

KA, thanks for following our blog. It is always encouraging. Once I started paleo, I saw results within two months, and significant results at the 4 month point. These were not only physical, but in my performance as well. If you are ever in the area, feel free to stop by.

20. September 15, 2012 11:18 pm

Excellent web site. A lot of useful info here. I am sending it to several buddies ans also sharing in delicious. And of course, thank you in your sweat!

21. September 17, 2012 05:45 am

You are my intake, I have few web logs and very sporadically run out from post :). “Analyzing humor is like dissecting a frog. Few people are interested and the frog dies of it.” by E. B. White.