Registration Open! THROW-DOWN CANCER - Nov. 15th 2014 @ SCF

Do What You Hate

We don’t like things because we are not good at them.  The more we do them, the better we get at them.  Then, they don’t suck as badly….

I used to hate to front squat.  It felt like a long way down below parallel.  I have a forward inclination in my squat, and when weight is added to the frontal plane, this only intensifies. My knees have a tendency to cave inward.  It hurt my wrists to the point of crying, and I always thought I was choking myself.  Let’s face it…I have chicken legs…

About a year ago, I went on a self-prescibed “Squat Program”. The concept was simple: Squat heavy everyday.  I was front squatting 3-4 times per week (and back squatting the rest). Funny thing happened…Now, I don’t hate to front squat anymore.

It’s home.

If someone takes my front squat away from me, I’ll be pissed.

As you might have guessed it, my  front squat went up 35 lbs. It’s still nothing to write home about, but it got me on the gym’s leader board for the present. My wrists stopped hurting.  I no longer felt as if I were dying of affixation when I racked the weight. And my chicken legs turned into turkey legs. I feel like I belong at the rack daily.

DO WHAT YOU HATE MORE OFTEN…

What do you hate most at the gym? POST IT IN TODAY’S COMMENTS and hold yourself accountable to doing it more often in the gym.

Nothing like family getting fit together!

Rowing during Saturday's team WOD.

26 Responses for Do What You Hate

1. Jenna:
    March 06, 2012 09:52 pm

Double Unders!!!

2. Meg:
    March 06, 2012 09:58 pm

running & running (like that was a big secret right?!)

3. Jenn J:
    March 06, 2012 10:15 pm

Medball cleans

4. Rich:
    March 06, 2012 10:50 pm

Rowing

5. Tricia A:
    March 06, 2012 11:08 pm

I really don’t “hate” anything at the gym, I am happy to be there of able body. My list of challenges is another story: upper body strength, endurance, 20 inch box jumps, unassisted pull ups, toes to bar and running to name a few.

6. Charlie:
    March 06, 2012 11:28 pm

Fran… 2nd class out of on ramp I was introduced to Fran, she broke, me or rather, helped me to realize how broken I was. Dave C talked me through the aftermath and she is going to meet a new person when I run into her again.

7. Palladino:
    March 07, 2012 01:10 am

A long and miserable history with RUNNING tops the list followed in no particular order by: Pull-ups (bad and rather loud experiences from boot camp/police academy), Hspu’s (fat kids don’t go upside down so good), toes to bar (they don’t swing so good either), pistols (they make me weeble and wobble but I don’t fall down), double unders (my Rocky skills are pre-Rocky 3 Apollo Creed training), rowing (my boat never seems to go anywhere), thrusters (two miserable movements for the price of one), rope climbs (ladders are a far more efficient way to reach the ceiling), burpees, snatches, and most likely whatever is on wod 12.3…..too name just a few!

8. Annie M:
    March 07, 2012 07:08 am

BOX JUMPS!!!! …but I will conquer!

9. Gayle:
    March 07, 2012 07:33 am

Great post LP. I made a vow to myself to stop avoiding ALL the things I don’t like doing. Last year it was Cleans (which I worked on and did get a little better at) This year SNATCHES!!!!!

10. March 07, 2012 07:55 am

As an endurance coach I have noticed a trend in the previous posts….it begs the question what are going to do about it? SCF endurance is chock full of all the things you hate. Come get a steady diet of it every monday and wednesday night and Sunday mornings too. Its like eating your vegetables…

1. Tricia Anderson:
      March 07, 2012 09:49 am

I know, I know, I know… it is so hard to choose between classes. I am having a love affair with a bar bell and I can’t stop!! Sunday morning 8 am looks like a good time to get out of my cozy warm bed and get some endurance. Wish me luck ~ thank you Rob and Doug

11. March 07, 2012 08:14 am

Im with Tricia, I barely get to Crossfit anymore so I am just happy to be there when I can! But I do have a long list of frustrations (DU’s, ring dips, anything overhead…)….oh! I almost forgot about Pistols, ok I hate Pistols! Mostly because I feel like my knees are breaking when I go below parallel on these so I think that’s more self preservation that hatred…

12. CAP:
    March 07, 2012 08:17 am

RUNNINNNNNNGGGG!!!

13. Bruno:
    March 07, 2012 01:24 pm

ummmm WALL BALLS!!!!!!

14. Kristina T.:
    March 07, 2012 02:43 pm

Box jumps. The one time I attempted to do 20 inches, last time I did ‘Kelly”, I swear I almost threw up all over the gym floor by the end of it. Since then I’ve stuck to 16 inches simply out of fear of getting sick. I HATE BOX JUMPS the most out of all of the moves I’m still not stellar at, I feel awkward and so uncoordinated whenever I do them. But I’ll keep doing them and will eventually get to 20 inches and then higher without getting sick to my stomach! Lauren is right, when you hate something, make yourself do more of them. Previously, my most hated move was handstand push ups. But I’ve been making myself practice them every night both at home and at CF and now, low and behold, I can do them (modified still with one, sometimes two ab mats underneath me, but still, I can sort of do them now!!). Boo yah!

15. Mike Dalton:
    March 07, 2012 03:55 pm

Strict shoulder presses; because I’m pathetically weak at them!!!

16. Squeaks:
    March 08, 2012 10:48 am

I hated wall balls. My first on-ramp wod was Karen and for anyone who doesn’t know Karen, it’s 150 wall balls for time. At that first on-ramp wod I was only able to complete 130 wall balls in about 15 minutes. (I’m pretty sure Shlee remembers me getting hit in the face by my own ball.) Since then I tried to avoid wall balls and always stuck with the 8-lb ball partially out of fear of re-injuring my hip and partly because I had such a hatred of wall balls. A few weeks ago I was talking to Gayle and she convinced me to face my fears. So the day after 7 minutes of burpees, I went to a Sunday morning class and asked the coach if I could do Karen while the rest of the class did the regular wod and I even convinced a friend to do it with me. I did it with a 12-lb ball and it wasn’t as bad as I had feared. My time wasn’t great but I got through it in under 10 minutes (which was my goal) and wasn’t afraid to tackle wall balls the next time they came up in a wod (which was either the next day or the day after).